Reference Librarian – McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP – New England
McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, a 300+ lawyer firm with ten offices in seven states, seeks a part time Reference Librarian for its Hartford office.
The ideal candidate has a master’s degree in library and information science plus law library experience. The applicant must demonstrate thorough knowledge of legal and non-legal (especially business) resources in all formats, proficiency in the use of Westlaw, LexisNexis, Pacer, docket searching, and internet resources, and the ability to select appropriate resources to answer research requests.
The position requires excellent communication skills, both written and oral, along with the ability to interact well with all levels of law firm personnel to provide information with courtesy and tact. Other requirements include attention to detail, ability to maintain client confidentiality, commitment to customer service, ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a team oriented, collaborative, fast paced, and time sensitive environment. Good working knowledge of computers and proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are desirable.
Based in Hartford, the reference librarian:
- Provides on site research support and quick reference and in-depth research services for attorneys, management, and legal staff firm wide under the supervision of the Director of Library Services.
- Evaluates and recommends both print and online materials for Hartford and other offices.
- Visits other New England offices, including Southport, and occasionally Boston, MA and Morristown, NJ as requested.
- Identifies, updates, and organizes sources for firm intranet.
- Provides inter-library borrowing, document retrieval, and lending.
- Manages passwords.
- Conducts user orientation sessions, and offers training and support of both electronic and print resources to end users.
- Coordinates with library clerks regarding check in and updating.
- Monitors and provides notification regarding client and legal developments.
- Provides research advice and cost estimates for research projects; creates pathfinders and bibliographies.
- Catalogs, classifies, and indexes resources.
- Stays abreast of current developments via membership and participation in library organizations, reading professional literature, monitoring professional listserves, and keeping up with current events.
- Works with Library Director and IT staff on implementing new technology.
- Performs other duties as needed.
This firm is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail, indicating salary requirements, to:
Mary Ellen Kaas
Director of Library Services
McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
1300 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 2075
Morristown, NJ 07962-2075